Göran Sluiter is professor of international criminal law at the University of Amsterdam. He is also professor of criminal law and procedure at the Open University in the Netherlands and lawyer and partner at Prakken D'Oliveira Human Rights Lawyers.
He studied law at the University of Maastricht (1996) and obtained his PhD in international criminal law at Utrecht University (2002). He joined the University of Amsterdam as a senior lecturer in (international) criminal law in 2004 and become a Professor in international criminal law in 2006.
Göran is principal investigator in the VICI funded research project 'Rethinking the Outer Limits of Secondary Liability for International Crimes and Serious Human Rights Violations' which runs from September 2018 until September 2023.
Between 2006 and 2011, he was principal investigator in the VIDI funded research project 'International criminal procedure - In search of General Rules and Principles'.
Recent publications include:
- Sluiter, G., Friman, H., Linton, S., Zappalà, S., & Vasiliev, S. (2013). International criminal procedure: principles and rules. Oxford: Oxford University Press. [details]
- Sluiter, G. (2014). Responding to cooperation problems at the STL. In A. Alamuddin, N. N. Jurdi, & D. Tolbert (Eds.), The Special Tribunal for Lebanon: law and practice (pp. 134-152). (Oxford monographs in international humanitarian and criminal law). Oxford: Oxford University Press. DOI: 10.1093/acprof:oso/9780199687459.003.0008 [details]
- Sluiter, G. K. (2016). Ad hoc international criminal tribunals (Yugoslavia, Rwanda, Sierra Leone). In W. Schabas (Ed.), The Cambridge Companion to International Criminal Law (pp. 117-136). Cambridge University press.
- Sluiter, G. K. (2016). State cooperation in the enforcement of sentences. In R. Mulgrew, & D. Abels (Eds.), Research handbook on the internationa penal system (pp. 229-250). Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Sluiter, G. (2016). State “Cooperation Issues” in Arresting Al Bashir. In R. H. Steinberg (Ed.), Contemporary Issues Facing the International Criminal Court (pp. 124-137). Leiden: Brill Nijhoff. DOI: 10.1163/9789004304451_013
- Sluiter, G., & Talontsi, S. (2016). Credible and authoritative enforcement of state cooperation with the International Criminal Court. In O. Bekou, & D. J. Birkett (Eds.), Cooperation and the International Criminal Court: perspectives from theory and practice (pp. 80-113). (Nottingham Studies on Human Rights; Vol. 4). Leiden: Brill Nijhoff. DOI: 10.1163/9789004304475_005 [details]
- Sluiter, G. (2017). International Criminal Tribunals and Their Relations to States. In A. Nollkaemper, & I. Plakokefalos (Eds.), The Practice of Shared Responsibility in International Law (pp. 212-235). (Shared Responsibility in International Law; Vol. 3). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. DOI: 10.1017/9781316227480.010 [details]
Göran teaches the following courses at the Amsterdam Law School during the 2019-2020 academic year:
International Criminal Tribunals - Procedural Aspects
ICC Moot Court
International Criminal Law Practice